Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Call this cold? I think not...

Ros has always wanted to see the Northern Lights and, being a devoted husband and keen traveller, I have made the arrangements. And so, just after Valentine's Day (because the Lords will be debating the Scotland Bill that day), I'll be taking her to the Arctic Circle, to Oulu and Rovaniemi, where it's currently -31°C (-24°F for those of you who prefer that measure).

However, there is a bit of a breeze blowing, with the wind chill making it feel like -44°C, or -47°F... Oh well, it's a relatively balmy -28°C in Oulu...

But why Oulu and Rovaniemi? Well, the flights were fairly easy, the hotels comfortable, and Rovaniemi is the home of Santa Claus. And in a year when the Aurora Borealis is expected to be at its best, why not go and see?

So, I'll try and keep the blog up to date, at least until we leave. Because I'm not exactly sure what happens when a bureaucrat is exposed to the cold...

No comments: